Table Of Contents
Fill in the blanks with appropriate articles and prepositions:
(1) The transport minister has constituted _______ one man committee to look _______ the demand of transport operators for _______ increase ______ fares.
Ans: a, into, an, in.
(2) The disappearance of Subhash Chandra Bose ________ August 18, 1945 remains still _______ unsolved mystery. There is no definite evidence of _______ unfortunate place crash or of Netaji being _______ the plane at all.
Ans: on, an, the, in.
(3) January 24, 1984 was a memorable day in Sudhan’s life. She was back on _______ stage. Arrangements were made _______ her dance program at _______ big hall _______ Bombay.
Ans: the, for, a, in.
(4) Ranjan was been suffering _______ fever for the last few days. In fact he is down _______ influenza. We hope he will be fit in _______ few days.
Ans: from, with, a.
(5) The test match at Eden Garden between two rival teams. India and Pakistan, was ______ exciting one. There were ups and downs ______ the fortunate of the two teams. In the first innings Indian’s total ______ 407 was almost overtake _______ Pakistan.
Ans: an, in, of, by.
(6) In India the first successful oil well was sunk _______ borbhil, later known as Digboi, in Assam _______ 19 October, 1899. ________ Digboi refinery is _______ oldest running refinery in the country.
Ans: at, on, the, the.
(7) I arrived at my cousin’s house _______ the evening, it was freezing cold and we had _______ early dinner in _______ large room whose walls and ceiling were covered _______ stuffed by Birds.
Ans: in, an, a, with.
(8) When Rabindranath set ______ his school _______ Shantiniketan, Satish Chandra Roy, a young man, came there as _______ teacher. With him the boys felt they were never confined in a classroom.
Ans: up, at, a.
(9) _______ tigerss captured in the Sundarbans ______ May 10, had to be bought to ______ Alipore Veterinary Hospital _______ treatment.
Ans: the, on, the, for.
(10) _______ students from ______ neighbouring school are going ______ an excursion to Darjeeling _______ their teachers.
Ans: the, a, on, with.
(11) Most people are found _______ mystery stories. They find _______ extra pleasure _______ trying to solve _______ mystery along with the investigator.
Ans: of, an, in, the.
(12) Football is _______ simple sport. It is also the cheapest game _______ no complicated rules ________ understand.
Ans: a, with, to.
(13) ______ girls _______ this village have promised to fight _______ the curse _______ child marriage.
Ans: the, of, against, of.
(14) Lepchajagat is _______ most exclusive it place in the western part _______ Darjeeling Hills. It offers _______ unique experience _______ nature lovers with its alpine scenario and magnificent view of Kanchenjunga.
Ans: the, of, a, to.
(15) India stormed into _______ quarter finals _______ the world cup on Friday, defeating West Indies _______ 4 wickets in _______ not so high scoring game in perth.
Ans: the, of, by, a.
Change the voice of the following sentences:
(1) Let the door be shut.
Ans: Shut the door.
(2) They gave each of the recipients a handsome prize.
Ans: Each of the recipients was given a handsome prize by them.
(3) Someone wrote this letter in the 19th century.
Ans: This letter was written in the 19th century.
(4) Tell the truth.
Ans: Let the truth be told.
(5) We call the tiger our national animal.
Ans: The tiger is called our national animal.
(6) I received a phone call.
Ans: A phone call is received by me.
(7) Shut the door.
Ans: Let the door be shut.
(8) They did not make a sound.
Ans: A sound was not made by them.
(9) Please post the letter.
Ans: You are requested to post the letter.
(10) I am writing a poem.
Ans: A poem is being written by me.
(11) The teacher gave Suresh an exercise book.
Ans: Suresh was given an exercise book by the teacher.
(12) Do the work at once.
Ans: Let the work be done at once.
(13) Please maintain silence in this room.
Ans: You are requested to maintain silence in this room.
(14) Many buildings have been damaged by flood.
Ans: Flood has damaged many buildings.
(15) I know the man.
Ans: The man is known to me.
Phrasal Verbs :
Understand = make out
met = came across
appear = turm up
withdrawa = call off
resembles = takes after
starts = sets in
closes = breaks up
published = brought out
tolerate = bear with
continued = kept on
died = passed away
recover = come round
chased = ran after
change = give up
forcibly entered = broke into
surrendered = gave in
rejected = turned down
overcome = get over
quarrelled = fell out
erupted = broke out
arrive = turn up
distributed = gave away
found = came across
established = running after
removed = set up
failed = took off
reared = fell through
abolished = brought up
in search = looking for
causes harm = tells upon
examining = looking into
obey = carry out
postpone = put off
be cured = come round
extracted = taken out
omitted = left out
escaped = ran away
prepare = make up